How to Avoid Kitchen Fires
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, most home fires are caused by cooking. Moreover, unattended cooking is the number one cause of kitchen fires, so it’s important to be informed about the most common causes of kitchen fires and how to avoid them:
- Never leave the oven or stove unattended when cooking. Stay alert while frying, broiling or grilling food and turn off the cooking appliance if you have to leave the kitchen.
- Use a timer when roasting, simmering, baking or boiling food to remind you when to turn off the oven.
- Avoid wearing loose clothes and roll up your sleeves when cooking. If you have long hair, remember to tie it back.
- Teach children to stay at least 3 feet away from the heat source when cooking. Make sure to turn pot handles away from the stove edge, so that kids can’t reach them.
- Keep flammable materials or items, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper bags or pot holders, at a safe distance from the stove.
- Prevent grease buildup by cleaning cooking surfaces and appliances regularly. Grease can easily catch fire, so make sure to wipe up any spills and keep the oven grease-free.
- Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen for extra prevention. Salt or baking soda can also be used to put out a stovetop fire. Tips for using a fire extinguisher can be found here.
- Install a smoke alarm near the kitchen, but not inside it, as smoke or steam generated in the kitchen can sometimes trigger the alarm.
- When using the microwave oven, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven. Here you can find more microwave oven safety tips.
Find out more facts about cooking fires in this article and more general fire safety tips can be accessed here. For professional fire, water and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.